Temporary One-Year Position with possible extension
RFSL, the Swedish Federation for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Intersex and Queer Rights, is a non-profit, membership-based organization founded in 1950. RFSL’s vision is a society where diversity, and respect for diversity, is the norm. The federation has around 8.000 members, 36 local chapters all over Sweden and a broad national program. RFSL strives to be a diverse and inclusive working place.
Our international work is deeply rooted in extensive experience advancing LGBTIQ rights nationally. RFSL’s international unit has a broad capacity-strengthening program and is engaged in advocacy work within the UN. We support partner organisations in Eastern Europe, Southeast Asia, Southern Africa and Eastern Africa in their work on national and regional levels. In such partnerships RFSL contributes to capacity-strengthening, experience exchange, accessing international platforms, and acts as an intermediary financial partner.
We are recruiting an International Program Manager for our work in Southeast Asia and Africa, due to a temporary leave. The Program Manager will be part of the International Unit, based in Stockholm and report to the Director of International Programs. Field travel is required.
The International Program Manager will be responsible for RFSL’s Regional Movements Advancing LGBTIQ Rights program, started in 2018 with support from Forum Syd. The program includes support to projects implemented by six – mainly regional – partner organisations based in Kenya, South Africa, the Philippines, Indonesia and Thailand. The program aims to strengthen the possibilities for regional actors to support local and national movement building and advocacy work.
- Overall grant management responsibility of the program.
- Assessing partner applications and reports.
- Monitoring developments in partner organisations and projects on-site and from Stockholm.
- Being a resource for the partner organisations in terms or project implementation and follow-up.
- Responsibility for the annual report, including reporting of results, to Forum Syd.
- Contribute to a new application to Forum Syd for activities in the region.
Qualifications and experience
- Be strongly committed to working for human rights and equality and share RFSL’s values
- Degree in international relations, political science, or other social sciences or equivalent qualifications obtained through relevant work experience.
- At least three years of work experience in a national or international non-governmental organization.
- Proven track record of NGO grant and project management.
- Experience from working with LGBTIQ rights and movements is desirable.
- Experience of working with the civil society in Southeast Asia and/or Eastern or Southern Africa is desirable.
- Excellent knowledge of English (spoken and written) and Swedish is desirable.
- Willingness and ability to travel extensively.
The function is a one-year temporary position with the possibility of extension, based in Stockholm, with travel to the regions of responsibility. As we need the candidate to start as early as possible we will only consider applicants who are already eligible to work in Sweden for this position. A collective agreement is in place.
We welcome your application with a letter and a CV (max 3 pages) by December 1. Use the mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org and mark the mail with Program Manager South East Asia and Africa.
If you have any questions about the function you are welcome to e-mail our Director of International programs, Marie Månson, e-mail: email@example.com
Union representative is Kristina Ullgren, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org